Billy Mills is Running Strong’s National Spokesperson. He is an Olympic Gold Medalist and Oglala Lakota (Sioux) from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota.
Billy Mills works to inspire the next generation of American Indian youth.
Billy Mills travels throughout the country speaking to American Indian children and their families. His goal is to inspire youth and encourage dignity, character, and pride through their American Indian heritage.
Highlights from 2009-2010:
• Billy Mills spoke at a conference for FamiliesFirst, a non-profit child welfare services agency, in Davis, California.
• Billy Mills attended and encouraged athletes at the North American Indigneous Games Education Symposium and Reception in Cowichan, British Columbia.
• Billy Mills was the official starter for the First Annual 5K Race for the Nation in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
• Billy Mills delivered the keynote address at the 30th Anniversary National Conference of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) in Anaheim, California.
• Billy Mills was inducted in the Hall of Fame at the University of Central Florida by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports in Orlando, Florida.
• Billy Mills spoke with young athletes, students, and their families at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia, California.
• Billy Mills was interviewed for the documentary Voices of Hope, a documentary meant to inspire and encourage Native American Youth, in Pine Ridge, South Dakota.
• Billy Mills spoke with student-athletes at the Wings of Hope American Leadership/Camp Facilitator Training in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
• Billy Mills spoke at the Eddie Hart All-In-One Foundation Olympians and Friends Saving Youth Recognition Dinner in Pittsburgh, California.
• Billy Mills attended the Notah Begay III Challenge Fundraiser for Native Youth at Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Oneida, New York.
• Billy Mills spoke with students on the cross-country team at the James Wood High School in Winchester, Virginia.
• Billy Mills visited with the Beale Native American Club at the Beale Airforce Base in California.
Thank you for what you do to support our youth; to give them hope; to build their spirit; to educate and empower them! Billy, you are a blessing to all of us.